Accident Reporting and Procedures

Accident Reporting and Procedures with the Insurer Principle

Your insurer will give you an “accident report”, which will help you in case of a traffic accident to be fully compensated for losses and injuries. To be compensated, you must meet deadlines for reporting this incident to your insurer. You must initially establish a statement or claim. The accident report is given to you by your insurance company. You can ask them for more copies at any time. It is strongly recommended to have at least one copy in your vehicle. This document specifies the information about the circumstances of the accident and in particular to determine the responsibility of the drivers involved. car accident attorneys - personal injury law
Then you should submit this document to your insurer by registered mail (return receipt preferably) within 5 days of the accident. The accident report must be signed by each driver involved in the accident. You must complete the front (part observation) at the scene of the accident with the other driver, all in a single observation. The report must be signed by both drivers to be valid. Each party shall retain a copy of the statement after completing the common area. The back (declaration part) can be completed later by each driver individually. If the accident involves multiple vehicles, you must complete a joint report with the driver who preceded you and another report with the following you. You can also include photographs of the accident later after completing the first part. More on this website

Refusal to sign the accident report

If the other driver refuses to sign a joint report, you should record the tag number of the vehicle and get their license number if possible.

Try to get the testimony of those who witnessed the accident or the intervention of a police officer. If you have witnesses, try to get their contact information so they can be contacted possibly later. Complete the statement noting the refusal of the other driver. For this, use the “Comments” of the front of the statement. If the other driver flees after the accident, try to get the number of the license plate and call the police to inform them of the facts. In both cases, provide this information within 5 days to your insurer. See information on this website

Bodily injury

During a traffic accident, if a person has been injured, you must call the police and or an ambulance. After authorities secure the scene of the accident, establish a record of the circumstances of the accident. Get the identity of the drivers involved, passengers, pedestrians and witnesses if any. Even if the authorities establish a record, you should report the accident to your insurance company. If you are injured, you need to establish a medical record from the hospital or doctor stating your injury and contact your insurer by asking a provision for compensation for your injuries. If you did not report an injury in the accident report and you feel pain a few hours later, see a doctor as soon as possible and report it to your insurer. You may want to contact a car accident lawyer.